Blogging for Light
Saturday, August 06, 2005
 
Colossians 3:1-11
Today's Scripture

Sometimes it seems as if things are going along pretty well, and we have a good handle on our daily activities and our relationships. We may have some encounters with trouble or difficulty, but we are able to trust God to help us through any circumstance.

Other times--at least for me--the bottom seems to drop out and discouragement and even despair set in. It is at these times when it is particularly helpful and encouraging to read Scripture like today's passage.

We have no need to live lives of defeat--because we live a new life in Christ. Our minds should be on things above. Paul lists things that should no longer be part of our lives as Christians: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry. He also instructs us to rid ourselves of anger, rage, malice, slander and filthy language. He encourages us not to lie to one another as was our custom in our sinful way of life. I love how the next verse reads: "...put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator." (v 10, NIV) Paul adds that we do not need to distinguish between class or race--Christ is in all of us, no matter our heritage or station in life.

Today I will put on my new self, renewed in knowledge in the image of my Creator. As I read the Scriptures and grow in my love for and knowledge of him, I can know I am created in his image. I can be a reflection of his love to all who see me. My prayer is that I die to my old self daily and dress in the bridal clothes that Christ has for me as my groom. May our love for him continue as we are his bride and his love for us goes on and on!

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger