Blogging for Light
Saturday, May 14, 2005
 
Genesis 12:1-9
Today's Scripture

I don't know about you, but I like security. I like my home and the safe feeling I have here--the familiar surroundings--the people I love--even my dog.

I've also enjoyed an "adventure" or two in my lifetime--traveling as a summer missionary to Ecuador, backpacking in the mountains of Wyoming, driving from Washington state to Minnesota as a college student with my friend Shelly in my "new" Ford Pinto. I don't mind shaking things up once in awhile and trying something new or going to an unfamiliar place.

But I always know I can retreat to my familiar home. I don't know how I would respond if God asked me to pick up and move my family and leave my home--to settle in a totally foreign land. It must have taken a great deal of faith and courage to pack up his household and head to this strange place.

It seems that Abram's trip was a lot less eventful than the trip the Israelites took back to the promised land. In just a few verses he is there--while it takes the Israelites the whole books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy to get there, and only in Joshua do they really settle down.

I think the difference was obedience and faith. Abram had faith and followed God--he didn't waste time asking a lot of questions or grumbling about how hard it would be. He just did it.

I wonder if there are some things in my life God is asking me to "just do it." Am I grumbling, procrastinating, or ignoring what should be done? Sometimes it is hard to have faith and be obedient, but the rewards are worth any trouble along the way.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger