Blogging for Light
Saturday, March 26, 2005
 
James 5:7-12
Today's Scripture


I know I should be anticipating the Lord's coming. I am looking forward to his return, when all will be made right, when we will go to live in heaven with him. But in my earthly framework, I find myself anticipating other dates. Right now, I'm looking forward to April 16, when the tax season will end and my work at the tax office will be finished. I look forward to warmer days of spring, and summer, and camping. It seems I'm always looking ahead, not really living day to day.

It's important to plan and look ahead, but as we anticipate the Lord's return, we should live each day fully--anxious to hear the words, "Well done, faithful servant." We should live in compassion and mercy, not grumbling or judging, and we should be careful of our language. Our Yes should be yes and our No should be no.

That last concept seems a difficult one to teach children. It seems parents are always qualifying their yeses and nos. "What part of 'no' don't you understand?" "I'll think about it." "Maybe." "Go ask your father/mother."

Kids like to "pinky swear." To validate their yeses, they think they need something tangible to confirm them. But our language should be simple, clear and compassionate. And we can seek God for the wisdom of when to say a simple yes or a simple no.


Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger