Blogging for Light
Tuesday, March 08, 2005
 
2 Corinthians 12:1-10
Today's Scripture

When I was in college I went on a summer missionary trip to Quito, Ecuador. I worked in the English language department of HCJB Radio--which is broadcast around the world in several languages, including Spanish for the local area. I lived with a missionary family and got to help create broadcasts and even do news programs for ten weeks.

Towards the end of my stay I had a problem with my eye. I woke up at night and couldn't sleep, so I read my Bible, and turned to 2 Corinthians 12. I read about Paul and his "thorn in the flesh." Even though he asked God to remove it, God didn't, but gave Paul the grace to bear up under it.

I prayed that God would give me the strength to endure my pain in this foreign country. Fortunately, I was able to go to the HCJB hospital and get some eye drops--turns out I had an infection from rinsing my contacts in the water. Duh! (On my next trip to Ecuador, 20 years later, I brought solution for rinsing them and stayed clear of the water.)

But I never forgot the lesson of that Scripture. In our pain, God can help us bear up under it. Sometimes he takes the pain away, as in my case with my eye. But other times, he wants us to trust him--so that his glory may be evident in our weakness.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger