Blogging for Light
Tuesday, December 14, 2004
 
John 1:19-23
Today's Advent Reading

When I do something to help someone, or work hard on a project, a dinner, or a party at my home, I enjoy hearing accolades. "Oh, Suzi, your house looks so nice. Boy, this really tastes good. Can I have this recipe?" At Thanksgiving, I made my first turkey dinner, and things turned out pretty well. But I really couldn't take all the credit, because I had a wonderful recipe and instructions for cooking from at least two others. Still, I was happy when people enjoyed what I had prepared.

John was the one who prepared the way for Jesus' coming. He could have received accolades and titles and names like prophet, the Christ, and Elijah. But he humbly pointed the way to the true Messiah--making a straight path to him. He fulfilled the words of Isaiah in chapter 40:3 of one calling out in the wilderness.

This Christmas, I want to be like John--not taking credit for my accomplishments of gift-buying, decorating, entertaining or baking, but to point the way to Christ. He is why we celebrate, he is why we prepare for the holiday--the holy day of his birth. Let us seek to prepare our hearts and show others that Jesus is truly the reason for the season.



Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger