Blogging for Light
Wednesday, November 03, 2004
 
Ruth 1
Naomi and Ruth

Ruth is a beautiful story of love and commitment. In this first chapter, tragedy strikes, as Naomi loses her husband and her two sons. She decides to leave Moab, where she and her husband and had moved their family during a famine, and return to Bethlehem in Judah. She encourages her daughter-in-laws to remain in their home in Moab, but Ruth insists on following her. Verse 16 is often used at weddings, so powerful is its message of commitment: "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. " (NIV)

I think it's wonderful that there is a book in the Bible that deals, among other things, with the daughter-in-law mother-in-law relationship. Ruth is a good example to those of us who are married of love and devotion to her in-law family. But more than that, she must have seen the love of the Lord in Naomi, and that love attracted her, even in this time of sadness and sorrow. It was so strong, that Ruth was willing to leave her home and family to follow Naomi and her God.

In times of sorrow, do others still see the love of God reflected in us? Is it so compelling that, even though we weep and feel empty, those closest to us can still see the hope of our God? I pray that my life may reflect God's love and compassion even when I experience trials.


Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger