Blogging for Light
Monday, November 01, 2004
 
Jonah 3
Jonah Goes to Nineveh

After being tossed overboard, spending three days inside a great fish, and being vomited up by said fish onto dry land, Jonah finally heeds the call of the Lord and went to the pagan city of Nineveh. He proclaimed the judgment of the Lord throughout the city--which took a three-day walk to do. When he was finished, his words had even reached the ears of the king of Nineveh, who proclaimed a fast and repentance, asking God to forgive them and show compassion. And God saw and heard their prayers, and did not bring destruction on Nineveh.

We'll read about Jonah's reaction in chapter 4, but knowing how he didn't want to go to Nineveh in the first place, he must have been amazed at God's response to the evil city's repentance. Sometimes I wonder, if I pray for the people I disagree with or those who are my enemies, do I really want God to bless them? Wouldn't I rather see his wrath and vengeance against those who would seek to harm me, my family, or my country?

The citizens of the United States will be voting for a president tomorrow. If the candidate I support loses, I need to support the one who wins, with my prayers if not my agreement on certain issues. God still reigns, and he is in control no matter who is in power in the White House or any seat of government. And if he could turn the hearts of the wicked Ninevites toward him, he can certainly turn the hearts of any leader in the present world.

Of course, I still hope the outcome of the election is as I hope and choose. I will be informed, vote, pray and wait. And God can use the outcome for his purposes.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger