Blogging for Light
Thursday, September 16, 2004
 
Mark 9: 33-37
Who is Greatest?

I often compare myself with others. I know this is not healthy, but in my sinful nature I get a kind of smug satisfaction with feeling a bit superior to others.

"Well," I tell myself, "I don't work outside the home, so I'm available to my husband and children whenever they need me, unlike so-and-so." Or, "I work outside the home (during tax season), so I contribute to the family budget in a productive way. (unlike someone else who may not work at all.)" Or, "I attend BSF so I must be more spiritual than others who don't have that kind of discipline in their lives."

I often do this to make myself feel better when I'm thinking that others really are a lot better than me. I try to think about the good things I do that others may not do, and thus elevate my status somehow.

Jesus reprimanded his disciples for trying to see who of them was the greatest. They were focusing on superiority. In contrast to this, Jesus put a little child in front of them, saying they should welcome a child in his/her innocence and simplicity and thereby welcome Jesus. In verse 35, he said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all."

Instead of focusing on how I may be better than others in order to make myself feel superior, I need to heed the teaching of this passage. Jesus modeled servanthood for us all. As I go about my tasks at home, I should think how I am serving my family or others, and not elevate what I'm doing to a lofty status. And most of all, in every task I should think of how I can serve Jesus, who gave so much to be and lived as a humble servant on earth.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger