Blogging for Light
Wednesday, September 08, 2004
 
Mark 8:14-21
The Yeast of the Pharisees and Herod

Sometimes as I read the gospels, I am amazed at the lack of understanding that the disciples had. Why didn't they get the miracles or comprehend the parables? Jesus was right there, teaching them every day! What wouldn't I give to have Jesus present in the flesh--someone I could see and hear and touch--who was the very Son of God!

But I have to remember that the disciples did not yet have the Holy Spirit living within them--that only came at Pentecost (see Acts 2). And I need to look at myself--maybe I don't have Jesus visible in front of me, but I have the power of the Holy Spirit living in me. I have the entire Bible and 2000 years of church history, not to mention the fellowship of many believers. And still, many times I fail to understand what Scripture teaches.

When I read the Bible, I need to ask God to open my eyes and heart to his teaching through the Holy Spirit. Sure, I would like to have been there with the disciples and hear Jesus' voice, see the intensity of his message on his face, feel his arms of comfort around me. But for now, I am happy to have his Word, Christian friends, and His Spirit within. For, someday soon, I will see him face to face, and at that time I won't need to ask for understanding--all will be revealed.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger