Blogging for Light
Friday, September 24, 2004
 
Mark 10:35-45
James and John's request

This is the third time in the last two chapters of Matthew where the disciples are taught about servanthood, and where they are rebuked for trying to elevate their status instead of seeking to serve. First, in Mark 9:33-37, the disciples are arguing about who is the greatest, and Jesus cautions them to be like little children. Then in Mark 10:13-16, the disciples seem to have forgotten the importance of the role of children when they refuse parents from bringing the little ones to come see Jesus. Jesus says the children are examples--that whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.

Yet here later in the same chapter of Mark, two disciples, John and James, are asking Jesus to elevate them to the highest positions in heaven--on Jesus right and left. It seems they hadn't understood the importance of elevating others above ourselves. They quickly answered that they could drink the cup Christ was to drink--referring to his suffering and death. They did eventually suffer, but at this moment I don't think they had any idea what they were asking for or agreeing to.

It's easy to join the other 10 disciples and become indignant with them for their seeming arrogance. But when I look at my own life, I see how repeatedly I have been taught in Scriptures to put others above myself. And when I found wet towels on the laundry room shelf this morning, I wanted to call my daughter right away to chide her for not putting these things in the dryer ("she only thinks of herself") I mumbled to myself. But what was I doing? I had the time to put the towels in the dryer--she was probably in a hurry to get her clothes clean for school. And, at least, she does her own laundry.

This is just a small example of selfishness (I could list many more on my part!), but a reminder that in little things we need to be mindful of others. We need to follow Jesus example in verse 45--to serve and not be served.


Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger