Blogging for Light
Tuesday, September 21, 2004
 
Mark 10:13-16
The Little Children and Jesus


As a stay-at-home mom (I now have teenagers), I am so grateful for the love and care for children that Jesus demonstrates in the Scripture. Sometimes, those who are home with preschool children all day long feel their work is unimportant or at least unrecognized. But Jesus sees those caregivers and values their little charges. In fact, he elevates children so highly that he says in Mark 10:14-15, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Then he took the children in his arms and blessed them.

Earlier in Mark, when the disciples were arguing about who was the greatest, Jesus took a child and said, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." (Mark 9:37, NIV)

We need to care for "the least of these." In Matthew 25, Jesus tells his listeners that when they care for the needy or weak, they are caring for him. Verses 37-40 read: 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

I think Jesus often sees us as little children who need his care. I am so glad I have a heavenly Father, and when I am needy, I know he will take me in his arms and bless me. In turn, I need to look for the needy around me to bless them as well.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger