Blogging for Light
Monday, August 09, 2004
 
Mark 2:13-17
In this passage Jesus calls a new disciple, Levi (also known as Matthew). He was a tax collector, the lowest of the low among his contemporaries, for he took money from the Jews and gave it to the Roman government, keeping a generous portion for himself. But Jesus saw something in him, and when he looked at Levi, Levi's response was immediate--he followed Jesus at his call.

Levi was so overjoyed at meeting Jesus that the introduced other of his tax collector friends to Jesus at a special dinner. The Pharisees, observing (perhaps from a distance), noted that Jesus was eating with "sinners." When they confronted Jesus with this observation, he replied, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." (v 17).

How glad I am that Jesus looks at me, a sinner, and calls me to follow him! Do I obey like Matthew, and follow him immediately when he calls, leaving behind my sin and calling others to meet Jesus? I hope I do not become so comfortable in my faith that I become self-righteous, or forget what Jesus called me from. I hope instead that I can live a life worthy of his call, and invite others to join me in following him.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger