Blogging for Light
Wednesday, August 04, 2004
 
Mark 1:35-39
35Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. 36Simon and his companions went to look for him, 37and when they found him, they exclaimed: "Everyone is looking for you!"
38Jesus replied, "Let us go somewhere else--to the nearby villages--so I can preach there also. That is why I have come." 39So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons.

As I write this, it's about 9 am. Not very early in the morning--certainly not anywhere near dark during this Minnesota summer. I just read my sister's blog, and she was up at 4:30 am (although it was a bit early for her, too--usually the walk is around 5:30, I think). She comes home and has her Bible study before the rest of her day begins.

In this passage, and elsewhere through the gospels, we read of Jesus arising early to meet with his heavenly Father. He goes to a solitary place to recharge, become renewed and refreshed for the challenges that are ahead of him. I go to my computer, reflect and write, before the phone rings or people come into the room and ask questions, or I remember all I should be doing.

First things first. But Jesus didn't stay on his knees all day. In fact, when the disciples came looking for him, he didn't reprimand them, saying, "Can't you see I'm praying? Leave me alone for just a few more minutes." No, he got up, ready to meet the needs of others. I find it interesting that Jesus didn't respond to the needs of "everyone" who was looking for him, but instead wanted to move on to others who needed to hear his message and receive his healing touch. "For that is why I have come," he replied.

It is wonderful to think that Jesus no longer limits himself to a physical body--so that all who have need of him can come to him and he will answer. We should follow the example he gave on earth--though we are limited, we can find energy and renewal through time spent with God each day. And then, we can respond to the needs of those around us, seeking God's wisdom for where we should be and who we should minister to, and when it is time to move on to something new.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments:
    Suzi,Thanks for the good reminders! We are filled up so we can pour out!
     
    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger