Blogging for Light
Monday, July 26, 2004
 
Philippians 4:14-20
14Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. 15Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; 16for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need. 17Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. 18I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. 20To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Paul shows his appreciation to the Philippians in these verses--they were especially appreciated because they were the only ones who helped him financially ("in the matter of giving and receiving") when he left Macedonia. They continually sent him aid again and again when he was in need. Then he quickly adds, that he was not looking for a gift, but looking at what can be credited to their account. Because of their gifts, he gives thanks for their generosity and wishes blessing upon them. They amply supplied him, and even sent Epaphroditus as a gift to him. All their offerings were truly fragrant, acceptable sacrifices, pleasing not only to Paul, but more importantly, to God. Paul encourages his friends by adding that God will meet all their needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

How often do I give sacrificially? It seems that we are bombarded by phone calls, "junk" mail, e-mail and other requests for money--many of them for good causes. It is often hard to discern how much to give and to whom. I think a good rule of thumb to go by is, support your local church first, for much ministry goes on there that will help others outside our sphere.

Some may use the verse "my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus" (v 19) as a verse that means "if I give generously, God will make me wealthy.  I don't think this is true at all. I think this means that God honors us when we give, that he supplies our needs, and sometimes we do see financial rewards for our sacrifices, but we shouldn't expect it. When we are following God's principles in our daily lives, we naturally receive the blessing that walking closely to him provides. That includes giving to those who are in ministry.

And as we receive so many riches from Christ, namely salvation and the joy of knowing him, we can say with Paul, "To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen." (v 20)

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger