Blogging for Light
Tuesday, July 20, 2004
 
Philippians 3:12-21
12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
15All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
17Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you. 18For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things. 20But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

Pressing on. Some days it may be harder to press on than others. But Paul says here that we press on to take hold of that for which Jesus took hold of me. I like to think of Jesus, who has already finished the race, coming back for me to lead me to the finish line. He's already won, but he helps us through the marathon of life that we each must run. We haven't taken hold of the trophy yet at the end of the race, but it waits for us. We need to look forward to the prize, forgetting the past and anticipating heaven and its reward.

This is one of my biggest struggles--forgetting the past and looking ahead. I often dwell on minor irritations or past mistakes of mine, unable to forgive others or myself. I need to let go of petty grudges and focus on what is important.

Yes, there are enemies of the cross who may jeer me from the sidelines as I pant my way through life. But I need to remember where my true citizenship is--in heaven, where we await our Savior who will transform our lowly bodies.

When I'm tired of this marathon, I'll focus on Jesus who's already crossed the finish line and not only waits for me to join him forever in heaven with a new body, but who runs along side me in this life. He's my biggest cheerleader and I know I can go on with his encouragement. I hope to finish well.



Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments:
    Sometimes, my problem is not knowing where the finish line is. If we knew we were 'finished' tomorrow, we would likely live today very differently.
    Ed Thompson always encouraged us to plan as if we would live for a thousand years and live as though we only had today.
    Keep on keeping on!
     
    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger