Blogging for Light
Monday, July 19, 2004
 
Philippians 3:1-11
Today's reading is a bit longer than usual, but there seemed to be no good place to stop. Paul starts out the passage, encouraging his readers to rejoice, then cautions them to beware of evil doers, who are not true worshipers of Christ. Then he gives reasons he could boast as a true believer, which end up to be a list of legalistic reasons. All these reasons, he says, all these things that could be viewed as to his profit, he considers loss for the sake of Christ. In fact, all things pale in comparison to the surpassing greatness of knowing Jesus as his Lord.
 
Paul goes on to say that he does not have a righteousness that comes from himself or the law, but comes through faith in Christ. Verses 10 and 11 are among my favorites: 10I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. (NIV)
 
Every day I am engulfed by the material things around me and the daily tasks I sometimes enslave myself to. I know that housework and serving my family are important--God has given me these things to do for his glory. But that is the key--for his glory. I often go about my day thinking who I will please by doing this or that or worrying about what I am not getting done or not getting done well. My focus should be on glorifying God in everything--event sharing his sufferings--knowing that this life is temporary. So the daily frustrations and the bigger problems that I encounter are nothing compared to the future glory. And somehow, through Christ, we will all one day attain the resurrection of the dead, and be freed from the cares of this life. Although I enjoying life here, I am so grateful I can look forward to an even better life after this one.
 
Thank you God for enabling me to keep a heavenly perspective throughout my day and week. And thank you that as I go through times of frustration and trial, I can hope for a better day with you forever. Amen.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger