Blogging for Light
Saturday, July 17, 2004
 
Philippians 2:19-30
9I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. 20I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. 21For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel. 23I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me. 24And I am confident in the Lord that I myself will come soon.
25But I think it is necessary to send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker and fellow soldier, who is also your messenger, whom you sent to take care of my needs. 26For he longs for all of you and is distressed because you heard he was ill. 27Indeed he was ill, and almost died. But God had mercy on him, and not on him only but also on me, to spare me sorrow upon sorrow. 28Therefore I am all the more eager to send him, so that when you see him again you may be glad and I may have less anxiety. 29Welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor men like him, 30because he almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up for the help you could not give me.

Paul continues his theme of putting others first in this passage. One of the main comforts he had as a prisoner (probably on house arrest) was that he had the companionship of close friends. Yet he is willing to sacrifice their nearness for the sake of the Philippian church, hoping that he, too, may join them and see the recipients of his letter soon.

Today my parents are coming to visit. They travel (mainly in the summer) in their RV, visiting new and old places, and of course their children and grandchildren. I hate that we live so far away--they are in Tennessee and we are in Minnesota. So I cherish the time together, savoring it as Paul must have savored his time with Timothy and Epaphroditus.

My parents usually only stay a few days, never long enough, and this time I'm the first of the three sisters they will visit (my brother is fortunate enough to live only 45 minutes away from them now.) They are always helpful and encouraging when they visit. And frequently I am not very willing to relinquish them to other family members, since that means my time with them is lessened.

But, really, I am happy to share them with my sisters, because I love them too, and I know my parents' presence with them will be a benefit to them. A part of me goes with them, as I'm sure a part of Paul went with Timothy and Epaphroditus. I'm so grateful we all serve the same Lord and Savior, so we know that our parting is only temporary--even (in the far future, I hope) when we all part from this life.

I pray that I can be the kind of parent, wife, sister, daughter, in-law--that others will long for and yet be willing to send off to benefit others. With the love of Christ in me, I hope I can be a blessing to all I meet.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger