Blogging for Light
Wednesday, July 14, 2004
 
Philippians 2:1-4
When my husband Tim and I got married, we selected portions of Philippians 2 to be read at our wedding. It seemed appropriate to read about being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. We realized that we should do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than ourselves--looking to the interest of others, not only ourselves.

Twenty-one years later, it is still a daily struggle for me to put others' needs, including my husband and children, above my own. My selfish nature wants to nuture what I want, go with how I feel, and expect others to adapt to my circumstances.

One good thing about having a dog is that every day he gives me a reason to get up and out the door. He needs to walk and do his business, and even on days when I don't feel like getting out of bed, he gives me a reason to do so.

I need to view my relationship with my family and others as more important than my own, often petty needs or desires. If I can be mindful of my dog's needs every day, now much more should I pay attention to the needs of other people?

God, help me be sensitive and responsive to the needs of others, in humility considering others better than myself. Amen.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger