Blogging for Light
Friday, July 09, 2004
 
Philippians 1:7-11
(See the link below if you wish to read the Bible online in your favorite version)

Paul writes about the affection he has in his heart for the Philippian church. I wonder, am I fostering the kind of relationship with other believers that the Philippians did with Paul? Far apart from his friends, he longs for them with the affection of Christ Jesus.

Sometimes I focus on the differences I have between my fellow believers: differences in lifestyle, political persuasions, perspectives on child rearing (especially with rearing teenagers, the stage of life I'm in now), etc. This variety of opinion and lifestyle was recently evident to me at Cornerstone Music Festival . I'm a surburban homemaker, conservative in thought, appearance and works. I was in the midst of long-haired, no-haired, chain-wearing, mohawk sporting, loud music listening teenagers and others. Although there are always non-Christians at the festival, many of these who look and act so differently from me love Jesus as much as I do and maybe even have a deeper relationship than mine.

Do I long for these with the affection of Christ Jesus--looking forward to seeing these brothers and sisters at next year's festival?

I need to work on my love abounding more and more, to discern what is best and to be pure and blameless until the day of Christ. I realize this is not only true of loving those at Cornerstone, but my own children and their friends whose opinions differ from mine. I want them to see the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus--not my own "righteousness."

And all this for the praise and glory of God.

Lord, teach me to love others with your love, to set aside my preconceived notions and prejudices. Amen.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger