Blogging for Light
Tuesday, July 13, 2004
 
Philippians 1:27 -30
Accountability. This was something the church of Philippi had--Paul held them accountable for their actions with these words: "Conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel." (v 27, NIV)

I wonder what it would have been like to know that Paul was keeping the Philippian church accountable for their actions. Did it make a difference in the daily life of each believer as they thought about how Paul might respond to their deeds were he to return or hear about their actions?

Of course, we are ultimately accountable to God, who sees and hears everything we do, and who will be the great Judge on the last day. But in this life, it is good to be accountable to others--sharing our hearts and lives with fellow believers, who share our struggles and sufferings as well.

In the summer time, in suburban Minneapolis St. Paul where I live, accountability can be more difficult. Church programs are often suspended till fall, as families travel to "the lake" or are busy with vacation plans or just a change in routine. I need to work harder at being acountable to others so I can keep on track with my spiritual life and growth. A fringe benefit of this is knowing that when I struggle, others will be there to help and support me.

Father, help me be acountable to you, but also to others in my actions and thoughts. Thank you for giving me Christian brothers and sisters who care about me and share my burdens and joys. Amen.

Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger