Blogging for Light
Monday, July 12, 2004
 
Philippians 1:19-26
The other day I listened to a Focus on the Family program that featured Dr. Gary Smalley. Normally, he is on the program, either live or via "Taped Before A Life Audience" session. He discusses marriage and family issues, and always has interesting insights and stories. This program, however was different. It was about a life and death experience that Dr. Smalley had as he experienced a heart attack, of all places, hunting for a wild turkey (which he shot just before he collapsed). At the time, he said, he was ready to go to heaven. It wasn't that he didn't love his wife and family, or his ministry, but he was ready to be with God if God was calling him home. When his wife met him at the hospital as he was being rushed on a gurney to emergency surgery, she urged him to hang on. "You are not leaving me alone with this ministry!" she cried. He did recover, but eventually had kidney problems, and his son donated his kidney to Gary so now they are both (father and son) doing very well.

All this to say, I wonder if I can be like Gary Smalley and Paul at my life's end (if I have time to ponder it at that time...). Paul says, "to live is Christ and to die is gain." (v 21). Gary needed a little encouragement to stay in this life, but he was looking forward to seeing his Savior. Paul wanted to remain, so he could be of benefit to others, but eagerly anticipated heaven.

How am I living my life? Eager to see God when I join him--am I ready for heaven? And do I also long to remain so I can do the work God has for me here?

A heavenly perspective is a good one. Not a longing for death, but a healthy anticipation of life, face to face with Jesus, yet while continuing to live each day on earth to the full, for the glory of God.


Links
  • Google News
  • Timman's thoughts
  • Swansmith
  • Northwoods Soccer Mom
  • Our Favorite Lutheran (save Martin)
  • IdeaJoy
  • Blogs4God
  • Bible study helps
  • Read the Bible online
  • Comments:
    good thoughts!
    I'm ready to go, ready to stay....
    Love ya!
     
    Post a Comment

    << Home

    Powered by Blogger